Egon Eiermann (1904- 1970) was one of the most prominent German architects to emerge after World War II; his wide variety of buildings has been admired for their elegant proportions, precise detail, and structural clarity.
Eiermann studied at Berlin Technical University. Beginning in 1930, he practiced architecture in Berlin and, from 1947, in Karlsruhe, where he also served on the faculty of the university. Adhering to an aesthetic of making order visible, Eiermann created a number of major achievements in functional design, including the textile mill at Blumberg , the West German pavilion at the Brussels World Exhibition with Sep Ruf in 1958, the West German embassy in Washington D.C., and the IBM-Germany Headquarters in Stuttgart.
Perhaps his most popular work is the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, a symbol of postwar Berlin. Originally, a Romanesque revival building constructed in 1891-95 stood on the site, but after a World War II bombing raid only the bell tower remained. This ruin was incorporated by Eiermann into his modern church, a polygonal building popularly known as "the Egg-Crate" (in part this is a play on Eiermann’s name; the German word Eier means "eggs").
Source: Encyclopædia Britannica