Walter Gropius (1883-1969) evolved from a respected, stylistically moderate modern architect to the founder and leader of the Bauhaus school, becoming the theoretician of architectural standardisation and "typification" and one of the world’s most famous avant-garde architects.
By 1922-1923, following its expressionist beginnings, a system of formal geometric design influenced by the "De Stijl" school had established itself in Bauhaus. It was in this context that Gropius designed the strictly cubist director’s room using both his own designs and those of other Bauhaus designers.
This ensemble was completed with a Gropius-designed cubist armchair that combines voluminous upholstery with a unique frame.
The armrests of Gropius’s armchair protrude freely; the back of the chair does not touch the ground. According to TECTA, when removing the upholstery, this cantilever armrest structure reveals itself as a precursor of the cantilever chairs, and anticipates, if turned 90 degrees, Marcel Breuer’s stool on runners from 1925.
After first enrolling to study architecture at the Technical University of Munich, Walter Gropius (Berlin 1883 – Boston 1969) continued his studies at the University of Charlottenburg-Berlin, which he left in 1908 without completing his diploma.
Gropius joined the office of Peter Behrens in the same year, where he worked alongside a number of architects who would become luminaries in their profession, including Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, and Dietrich Marcks. After working for Behrens for two years, Gropius established his own practice for architecture and industrial design in 1910. His output in this period included wallpapers, mass-produced interior furnishings, car bodies and even a diesel locomotive. The Fagus Factory in Alfeld an der Leine, which he designed together with Adolf Meyer, would be his first major architectural work. With its transparent façade of steel and glass, this factory building is widely held to be a pioneering work of what later became known as "Modern Architecture" evolving eventually in the 1920s into the "Neues Bauen" or "New Objectivity" movement. The Fagus Factory was awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in June 2011. After the First World War Gropius became a founding member of the Bauhaus: in 1919 he succeeded Henry van de Veldes as the Director of the Großherzoglich-Sächsischen Hochschule für Bildende Kunst in Weimar and renamed the institute "Staatliches Bauhaus in Weimar". Gropius held the office of Director in Weimar until 1926 and subsequently in Dessau. He was succeeded by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who directed the Bauhaus until its closure in 1933. Gropius immigrated to England in 1934, following a smear campaign by the Nazis, who branded the Bauhaus a "Church of Marxism". In 1937 he relocated to Cambridge, USA, where he served as a professor of architecture at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design. In 1938 Gropius brought Marcel Breuer to Harvard and founded a joint architecture practice with him. Gropius' own house built by the practice attracted numerous commissions for private houses. Together they also built the Pennsylvania Pavilion for the 1939 New York World's Fair. In 1946, along with a group of seven younger architects, Gropius founded "The Architects Collaborative" (TAC), with which he realized a great many successful projects and which evolved into one of the most notable firms in post-war modernism.
TECTA is a furniture manufacturing company based in Lauenförde, Germany. It was founded in 1956 by the architect Hans Könecke. The company name comes from Latin, and means "to design" or "to execute". In 1972 Werner and Axel Bruchhäuser took over the company, and Bruchhäuser remains in charge to this day, jointly since 2001 with his nephew Christian Drescher.
The product line of Tecta consists of Bauhaus re-editions, such as the iconic cantilever chair, and derivative designs. Numerous items of furniture created by avant-garde designers of the 1920s have been mass-produced for the first time by Tecta. Tecta’s faithful and licensed re-editions of Bauhaus models are approved by the Bauhaus Archive in Berlin and bear as an imprint the Bauhaus symbol designed by Oskar Schlemmer in 1922 at the original Bauhaus school in Weimar.
Tecta also works with a variety of contemporary architects and artists to create modern furniture based on Bauhaus principles.
Tecta continues to work in the commitment to the Modern Movement - a movement which, as architect Peter Smithson put it, "…is not legacy in the sense of a sum of money to be spent or speculated with…it is a genetic stance, a responsibility…something to live up to."
Frame in solid black, white or natural lacquered ash, or natural walnut or oak, upholstered seat and back
Width 70cm, depth 70cm, height 70cm
This product can be made in various colours, fabrics and leathers. Please contact us for more information.
Made in Germany
Shipping cost on request. Click on "Get a Quotation" under the price.
SEE MORE FROM SAME CATEGORY, DESIGNER, BRAND OR PERIOD: